Tuesday 13 October 2015

Ready to Go Again

Note, I've rearranged this blog to make the timeline into a sequential story.
So, to go to the next newer posts, click 'Older Posts' at the bottom of each page.



Ready to go to the USA again.  Probably for the last flying/roadtrip.  Plan to sell the ultralight and trailer this time.  It's been a great adventure, but now I've done far more than I started out to do.

Those earlier trips, both in the USA and Australia, are seen at
http://www.stolspeed.com/

My great little rig for flying the USA.

...................................................................................................................................


Had a good 12 hr flight across the ocean with Qantas.
Picked up by Dick at Van Nuys and stopped to see his beautiful Interstate Cadet aircraft.  Built in the 40's and 6,700hrs of mostly training.  A few 'badge of honor' scars from so much use, but nicely restored and lots of life left.
Then Dick drove me out to Brian Ranch Airfield where I had my Kolb ultralight and trailer and camper van stored.  Everything looked bright and new due to recent heavy rain that had washed the desert dust off it.  The van started right away, and felt like home again.

Went into Little Rock and got a half rack of BBQ ribs from Charlie Brown's, and a tall Bud Chelada, and feasted....  A good start to another adventure!

In the next couple of days checked over the aircraft and replaced fuel lines.
Found that I was almost out of the special two-stroke oil, but Demitre had a spare case he could sell me, so that was easy.

Hot! 104F (40C), and hot gusty wind blasting - such is life sometimes in this Mojave Desert.....

The plan this time was to fly the Central valley in California to see the effects of the drought,
and then travel the length of the mighty Mississippi river, from headwaters to the gulf.
So lots of road trip ahead.....


These are the airfields that I used on this trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment